We are revitalising London’s transport to allow more people to travel through the city easily and comfortably.
A growing city needs a growing transport system
London’s transport network is incredibly complex and caters for millions of journeys everyday. Our city’s population and economy has grown a great deal in the last twenty years, stretching our existing transport system to capacity. And London is still growing!
Investing in transport
We can expect around 1.3 million more people and over 750,000 more jobs by 2031, so we are investing in a transport system that can help super-sized London to flourish.
Some of our major changes are:
- developing Crossrail to provide a high speed rail service between the east and west of the city
- improving the Tube with extended services, new trains and stations which are easier to navigate
- making London’s transport more accessible for people with disabilities and connecting up the city’s more deprived areas
- building better buses with the famous London Routemaster – the double-decker red bus – being given a 21st Century upgrade
- revolutionising our railways with more routes and faster journeys
- making the most of the River Thames with more pier capacity, more services and a ticketing system which is integrated with the rest of London’s transport
- promoting a Cycling Revolution to encourage more journeys to be made by bicycle in London
- Making Walking Count, making London an easier city to travel around by foot
- Smoothing Traffic Flow to prevent traffic jams in the capital
- tackling London’s air quality with green transport initiatives