Event: London Green Lifestyle Show
Date: Sunday 5 June 2005.
Time: Starts 11am ends at 7pm.
Location: Greenwich Park
FREE FAMILY EVENT
The Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone, has outlined plans for the London Green Lifestyle Show to celebrate world environment day on Sunday 5 June 2005. This will be the first event organized by the Mayor focusing work to make London a truly sustainable world city – it will be powered using renewable energy sources, waste will be minimised and recycled, food waste will be composted and noise and air pollution will be reduced.
Londoners will be able to pick up tips on how to make changes at home, work or in their leisure time to help improve their own standard of living and protect and enjoy the environment.
Highlights of the show include
· A lifestyle area showcasing new and innovative ways in which you can ‘green’ your home and save money by using energy saving lightbulbs, energy efficient appliances, natural cleaning products and rainwater collection schemes. We will present the latest in kitchen and bathroom ware all designed with environmental awareness in mind.
· The latest green technologies will be displayed, such as London’s hydrogen fuel cell buses and other cleaner vehicles.
· A food area serving healthy, locally sourced food, a farmers market, gardeners stalls, cookery demonstration and a beer tent selling organic, fair trade alcohol.
· The event will promote healthy living including sport for all. It will have up to date information on how a London Olympic and Paralympic Games in 2012 would be a truly sustainable games and the benefits it will bring to local areas.
· A speakers forum featuring workshops and talks on a range of sustainability issues.
· Activities for children include face painting, children’s entertainers, a soft play area, workshops for children to make art out of scrap materials and workshops to make carnival costumes, which will culminate in a procession through the show. The children’s area will be powered by sun, wind and people through pedal power. There will also be valuable sources of information available in the children’s area on how to get the best support to return to work, such as childcare support.
· An open air stage featuring live music completely powered by wind and solar energy.
The Mayor said: ‘The London Green Lifestyle Show is the first London wide event celebrating the environment and showcasing how London will look in the future.
‘There will be something for all the family at the London Green Lifestyle Show and lots of activities for children to get involved in and to learn from. I hope that as many Londoner’s as possible will go to Greenwich Park on Sunday 5th June and find out about how we can all make small changes to our lifestyles to help protect the environment.’
Chris Birks, director of the Environment Agency's Thames region, said: "We are delighted to be working with the Mayor on World Environment Day. We will show Londoners what small, easy lifestyle changes they can make. And collectively we can make a real difference to the environment."
Notes to Editors
1. The London Green Lifestyle Show is organized by the Mayor of London and supported by the Environment Agency, Transport for London, London Development Agency, The Royal Parks, Greenwich Borough Council.
2. The London Green lifestyle show will showcase the work of the Mayor, the London Development Agency, Transport for London and the London boroughs to make London a sustainable city.
3. The London Green Lifestyle Show is the first event of the London Sustainability Weeks events. For further information on events taking place across London as part of London Sustainability Weeks 2005 contact Christopher Harris on 020 7359 0452, 07949 592 512 or Christopher.firstname.lastname@example.org or go to www.lsw2005.org
4. The event is co-ordinated by the green event production company, Green Futures Festivals Ltd.
MEDIA ENQUIRIES: Press information is available from Nicola Dillon on 020 7983 4755, Hilary Merrett on 020 7983 4753 or Sam Hart on 020 7983 4714 (numbers not for publication).
GENERAL PUBLIC/NON-MEDIA ENQUIRIES: Call the Public Liaison Unit at the Greater London Authority on 020 7983 4100
DUTY PRESS OFFICER: For out-of-hours media enquiries, please call 020 7983 4000