Did the Mayor’s decision to contribute £3.1m to the construction of the ArcelorMittal Orbit tower on the Olympic Park represent good value for money? How will costs and revenues be distributed after the Games and what was the deal for naming rights?
The London Assembly’s Budget Monitoring Sub-Committee will tomorrow question senior representatives from the Greater London Authority (GLA) and London Legacy Development Corporation (LLDC), about the deal with Arcelor Mittal to part fund the project and the future of the tower after the Games.
This will be followed by a session focusing on the quarterly financial monitoring reports from London’s police and fire services with a focus on the London Fire and Emergency Planning Authority’s PFI contract with Asset Co.
From 3.30pm: ArcelorMittal Orbit
The Committee will question the following guests as part of their examination of the Mayoral Decisions for the period 1 March 2012 to 20 June 2012:
- Dan Hawthorn, Head of London 2012 Coordination, GLA
- Peter Tudor, Director of Venues, LLDC
From approx 4pm: Quarterly monitoring reports
Committee Members will question the following guests about the quarterly monitoring reports for the fourth quarter of 2011/12, focusing on the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) and the performance of PFI contracts at the London Fire and Emergency Planning Authority (LFEPA):
- Sue Budden, Director of Financial and Contractual Services, LFEPA
- Rita Dexter, Deputy Commissioner, LFEPA
- Bob Atkins, Chief Finance Officer, Mayor’s Office for Policing and Crime
- Nick Rogers, Temporary Director of Resources, MPS
The meeting will take place on Tuesday, 17 July from 3.30pm in Committee Room 2 at City Hall (The Queen’s Walk, London SE1 2AA). Media and members of the public are invited to attend. The meeting can also be viewed via webcast.
Notes for Editors
- Read the full agenda papers.
- The Chair of the Budget Monitoring Sub-Committee, John Biggs AM, is available for interview. See contact details below.
- As well as investigating issues that matter to Londoners, the London Assembly acts as a check and a balance on the Mayor.
For media enquiries, please contact Alastair Cowan on 020 7983 4504. For out of hours media enquiries, call 020 7983 4000 and ask for the London Assembly duty press officer. Non-media enquiries should be directed to the Public Liaison Unit on 020 7983 4100.