The London Assembly will tomorrow hold a confirmation hearing to assess Mayor of London Boris Johnson’s proposed appointment of Richard Tracey AM to the Office of Chair of the London Waste and Recycling Board (LWaRB)
Questions will cover four key areas:
- Whether the candidate is qualified for the position
- Whether the candidate has the time and capacity for the position
- Whether the candidate is fit (independent and impartial) for the position
- The main responsibilities of the post and the key issues facing the LWaRB
Following the hearings, the Committee will make a recommendation1 to the Mayor as to whether they agree or reject the proposed appointment.
Background information and the Mayor’s reasons for his proposed appointment are available at Item 5 in the agenda papers.
The hearing will take place on Thursday, 26 July from 2:30pm at Ground Floor, London Fire Brigade Headquarters, 169 Union Street, SE1 0LL.
Media and members of the public are invited to attend.
Notes for Editors
- The Committee’s recommendation is non-binding.
- In accordance with Schedule 4A of the Greater London Authority Act 1999 (as amended 2007), the London Assembly may hold Confirmation Hearings in respect of specific appointments and make a recommendation to the Mayor on the candidates proposed for appointment. Further information about confirmation hearings.
- S.21 of the London Waste and Recycling Board Order 2008 specifies the appointment of Chair of the LWaRB as subject to confirmation by the London Assembly.
- As well as investigating issues that matter to Londoners, the London Assembly acts as a check and a balance on the Mayor.
For more details please contact Alastair Cowan in the Assembly Media Office on 020 7983 4504/4283. For out of hours media enquiries please call 0207 983 4000 and ask for the Assembly duty press officer. Non-media enquiries should be directed to the Public Liaison Unit, Greater London Authority, on 020 7983 4100.